# Automatic Pellet Feeding System
# What's in the box
|Pellet Feeding System Controller||1|
|Air venturi for ¾” hose||1|
|6mm Nylon hose||2m|
# What you need
- 24VDC Power Supply with a minimum of 2A
- An open-source compatible 3D Printer Controller (Optional. Enable the printer to pause when you are out of pellets).
- Compressed air supply
- An air compressor with a recommended airflow of 50 SCFM or 85 m3/hr
- Air filter 10 microns
- Oil removal Filter
- Pressure regulator
- Venturi inlet vacuum hose of 72”H2O or 18 kPa
Our pellet feeding system comes with a corrugated hose designed to withstand vacuum. Should you use another hose, make sure it is rated for vacuum operation.
- The controller unit works on 24VDC
- The valve on the controller unit uses a 6mm push-in fitting.
- We recommend using ferrule crimps for the wires of the sensors, power and the output.
- Connect the capacitive sensor (packed with your Pulsar™) in the
# Venturi Installation
Follow the instructions below for a safe installation of the air venturi vacuum.
- Position the venturi vacuum between hoses connecting the hopper/pellets container to the Pulsar Extruder
- Install ¼” NPT to 6 mm push-in fitting on the venturi vacuum
- Connect the 6 mm hose between the controller and vacuum
- Connect the capacitive sensor to the controller
- Connect the power to the controller
- Fill the Pulsar™ inlet with material
- Calibrate the sensor’s sensitivity (see calibration procedure)
- Connect the hoses to the Pulsar™
- Connect Air supply to the controller
# Good practices
- Venturi Material Exhaust oriented upward
- Avoid sharp turns in the hose
- Material inlet hose oriented upward
- Material hopper/container converges into a funnel
- The hose transporting the pellets must have a limited section below the inlet of the bulk material
- Adjust the open time of the controller according to the length of the hose between the venturi and the pellet extruder.
Avoid any of the details mentionned below!
# Sensor Calibration Procedure
Tools Needed :
- Small flat screwdriver
- Fill the Pulsar™ inlet with pellets
- Turn on the pellet feeding controller to power up the sensor
- Turn the screw on the sensor counterclockwise until the red LED turns off
- Turn the screw a quarter turn clockwise at a time until the red LED turns on
# Pellet Feeding Controller Logic & Configuration
To configure the pellet feeding controller, download & install the venturi configuration tool: VenturyInterface_v1_0_beta_1_copy (opens new window)
Plug a USB mini type B to the controller from your computer and launch the software. You can then configure the operating variables.
This section will show you how to enable a pause feature when the venturi controller detects that you are out of pellets and the alarm is raised.
# Marlin Firmware
You can use the
filament runout feature.
# Repetier Firmware
See our doc for
filament runout feature: https://docs.dyzedesign.com/filament-sentinel.html#repetier-firmware